Tyler Perry is an American writer, producer, comedian, actor, and director.
IN FACT: He is the highest-paid man in entertainment, and today we’ll going to be looking at Tyler Perry Net Worth, and how he made his fortune.
Specifically, we investigated:
- His Career Earnings Year By Year
- His Houses, Property, and Cars
- Mega Deals
- Does he give back to charity
- Lots More
My favorite take away from all of this is his incredible list of charity work… there’s more to this man than first meets the eye.
And now it’s time to share what we discovered…
Tyler Perry Quick Overview:
- Net Worth: $600 Million USD
- Date of Birth: September 13, 1969
- Gender: Male
- Relationship Status: Girlfriend – Gelila Bekele
- Children:1- Aman Tyler Perry
- Profession: Screenwriter, Producer, Actor, Director, Author
- Nationality: American, United States
- Last Updated: 2020
Related: Tyler Perry Biography
Tyler Perry Net Worth
Tyler Perry is a man of many talents… he dominates the entertainment industry with acting, producing, directing, and writing.
He’s one of the most financially successful directors in the entire entertainment industry!
During his career, Perry has produced 30 movies, 20 productions, and 8 TV shows – and he’s only 50!
In 2011, Tyler Perry was named the highest-paid man in entertainment.
Every year Tyler earns in excess of $150 million from his gigantic entertainment empire… focusing on films, plays, TV shows, and books.
In 2013, Tyler Perry was the first and only filmmaker to have 5 movies debut #1 in the box office over the last 5 years.
With this in mind… Tyler Perry’s net worth totals a whopping $600 million USD!
Tyler Perry Early Life:
Tyler Perry was born Emmitt Perry Jr. in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA… to his parents Emmitt Perry Sr. and Willie Maxine Perry.
He lived with three other siblings… two sisters and one brother.
His father was a carpenter and severely abused Tyler from a young age. Tyler also experienced sexual abuse outside of his home and from other family members.
Tyler’s trauma caused dark thoughts… he attempted suicide twice, once at age 12 and again at age 22.
Tyler got on well at school, however he dropped out before finishing high school… he later passed his GED (high school equivalent exams).
Tyler felt safer with his mother… he attended church with her every Sunday.
He knew growing up that there was something wrong about his father… so later on in life, he took a DNA test, and sure enough, Emmitt Perry Sr. was not his biological dad.
At age 16 he changed his name to Tyler to distance himself from his father and his past.
Throughout his childhood, Perry turned to writing as a way out… he found it very therapeutic.
The writer claims to owe his success to The Oprah Winfrey Show, after watching an episode describing the positive and therapeutic impact writing can have.
This is what inspired Tyler to pursue his career.
Tyler began to write himself a series of letters that later became the inspiration for the musical I Know I’ve Been Changed.
Want to know more?
Read everything there is to know in his Bounce Mojo Bio!
Tyler Perry Movies, Plays & Books
Tyler Perry began his career writing, directing, and producing his play I Know I’ve Changed… premiering in 1992.
Although he was financially unstable, in 1998 Perry rewrote and reproduced the musical. The remake was well received… allowing Tyler to continue to put on shows at several locations.
In 2000, Tyler produced his second play I Can Do Bad All By Myself… which introduced his iconic character Madea – played by Perry himself.
Between these productions, Perry began building popularity locally in Atlanta… peaking at more than 35,000 audience members a week.
In 2001, Perry produced Diary of a Mad Black Woman… iconic to his career.
In 2002, Perry directed his first musical, Madea’s Family Reunion. The show was a hit and received positive feedback, playing #1 in the box office with $30.3 million and grossing a whopping $65 million.
In 2003 he released yet another stage production, Madea’s Class Reunion… prompting his first tour.
Prior to his Hollywood career, Perry sold more than $100 million USD worth of tickets and $30 million in videos and merchandise from his stage productions.
This allowed Perry to raise a budget of $5.5 million for his first movie, Diary of A Mad Black Woman in 2005. The movie grossed $50.6 million domestically.
In 2006, Tyler Perry released the film Madea’s Family Reunion and launched the TV series Tyler Perry’s House of Payne. The series lasted 8 seasons and was widely watched in America.
Later that same year, Perry published his first book, Don’t Make A Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings: Madea’s Uninhibited Commentaries On Love And Life.
The book sold 30,000 copies worldwide and peaked at #1 on the New York Times best sellers list.
In 2007, Perry released the film Daddy’s Little Girl and in 2008, he released Meet the Browns – adapted the following year into a TV sitcom.
Tyler Perry’s 13 most famous films have grossed more than $600 million at the box office in total… each costing less the $10 million to make.
Tyler plays the roles of writer, director, and producer… he takes home a healthy paycheck, receiving a large percentage of the profits.
Tyler is also an incredible actor, known for his roles in Star Trek, Alex Cross, Gone Girl, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, and Vice.
In 2019 he released Higher is Waiting, debuting at #5 in the New York Times bestsellers list.
Tyler is an incredible actor, writer, director, and producer!
Want to see him in action? Follow the links below!
Tyler Perry Investments:
With Tyler Perry’s net worth topping an astounding $600 million, you might be wondering what the star invests his money in?
Well… in 2006 Tyler Perry founded the Atlanta-based film production studio, Tyler Perry Studios.
In 2019 the studio made a move, situated on 330 acre former military base, Fort McPherson – one of the sites the Walking Dead was filmed on.
A whopping 50,000 ft2 of the studio is dedicated entirely to permanent sets, such as the White House, a luxury hotel, a trailer park, and a 16,000 ft2 mansion.
The Marvel spectacular Black Panther was the first movie to be filmed on the lot.
Tyler Perry Studios is one of the largest studios in the world!
Tylor Perry Earnings By Year
As one of the most successful directors with a whopping net worth of $ 600 million… Where does his money come from?
Here let me tell you…
Tyler Perry averages a salary of $80 million, however, normally receives $100-150 million a year through his work in the entertainment industry.
Here is a breakdown of his early career earnings:
|Year||Tyler perry Earnings $|
Tyler Perry Movies
Tyler Perry is famous for taking the entertainment industry by storm, famously known for his iconic character Madea.
As one of the most successful directors in the world, Tyler Perry has created some incredible stage productions and films… here are some of his top picks:
Tyler Perry Movies and Plays:
- 2005 Medea’s Class Reunion – The Play
- 2005 I Can Do Bad All By Myself – The Play
- 2011 A Madea Christmas – The Play
- 2012 Madea’s Witness Protection
- 2012 Good Deeds
- 2013 Tyler Perry’s Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor
- 2014 Madea’s Neighbors from Hell
- 2014 Single Moms Club
- 2017 Tyler Perry’s Boo! 2 A Madea Halloween
- 2018 Acrimony
- 2019 A Madea Family Funeral
But… that’s not it!
Want to see more movies by Tyler Perry? Follow the links above!
Perry has also written a number of books, check them out at the Amazon links below:
- Don’t Make A Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings
- Higher is Waiting
Tyler Perry Philanthropy
Tyler is a great believer in philanthropy and has been seen to donate to a number of charitable causes, lending resources for those in need.
His list of good deeds are endless, so here are some of his highlights:
- In 2009 Perry sponsored 65 children from a Philadelphia Camp to visit Disney World.
- In 2009 he donated $100,000 and 15 vans to Covenant House in Georgia, a charity helping runaway and homeless youths,
- In 2010 donated $ 1 million to disaster relief following the Haiti earthquakes.
- In 2010 helped put up and donate to a great grandma that lost her home after 40 years to a fire just before Christmas. The star paid for her accommodation and offered to pay for the rebuild.
- In 2013 he donated $100,000 worth of scholarships to Finland Middle School in Columbia, Ohio.
- In 2017 he gave a mother of a sick child a car so that she could drive him to his lifesaving medical appointments.
- In 2018 he bought former colleague LaShun Pace’s mother a $350,000 house to fulfill her dying wish of owning her own home where her family could live.
How Tyler Perry Spends His Money
With Tyler Perry’s net worth totaling a whopping $600 million, how does the star spend his money?
Perry loves to spend money on others, donating where possible and always getting involved in good causes.
As well as those in need, the star likes to splash out on his friends, buying both Oprah Winfrey and Gayle King new luxury cars.
Tyler Perry Houses
It’s safe to say Perry owns some beautiful houses across America… here are his current properties:
- As Perry spends the majority of his time in Atlanta, the star is building a new residence close to the Tyler Perry Studios Headquarters. The property will be a spacious organic farm.
- In 2009 he bought a $ 6.4 million, 14,000 ft2, 20 acre island White Bay Cay, the Bahamas.
- Custom built 25,000 ft2, 22.5 acre property in Beverly Ridge Estate, Los Angeles. In 2020 Prince Harry and Meghan Markle rented the home after their move to the States.
Tyler Perry Cars & Jet
Tyler Perry has some incredible toys, including a Gulfstream III private jet worth $125 million.
The star has spent $50 million on customizing the jet to include a screening room, formal living room, kitchen, and VIP bedroom.
Although the jet is of great luxury… Perry has been seen to use it to deliver supplies to countries recently hit by tragedy.
Tyler has also owned a Rolls Royce Phantom and a Bentley G7 Sport Coupe, however… details of the rest of his car collection are unknown, despite having a garage for 40 cars!
Despite living a public lifestyle… here are some lesser-known facts you might not have heard about Tyler Perry:
- In order to save $120,000 for his first production, Tyler worked as a bill collector, bartender, waiter, and salesman – he never gave up on his dream!
- At the time of his early career, he was so broke he slept in his car – must have been a squish given his 6 ft 5 in.
- Tyler donated $ 1 million to NAACP to eliminate racial discrimination… fighting for something he believes in.
- Most of his films are aimed at African Americans, with his iconic character Madea being inspired by his mother and aunt.
- In December 2018 Tyler paid for all items on layaway at 2 local Walmart stores, costing the star over $400,000. He tried to do the act anonymously to support people during trying times, however… his generosity was soon uncovered.
5 Lessons From Tyler Perry
With Tyler Perry’s net worth totaling a whopping $ 600 million, there’s a lot we can learn from his success… here are 5 lessons from his career:
- Focus on one thing and master it… you can’t put 100% into everything all at once.
- Don’t be afraid to say goodbye to people… some don’t stick around.
- Invest in yourself first, your dreams are what matter.
- Don’t quit your day job as not everything works out the first time!
- Only take criticism if it comes with a solution, otherwise cut out the negativity!
These are some of Tyler’s greatest lessons.
Summary: Tyler Perry Net Worth
So there you have it, I’m sure you’ll agree, Tyler Perry has had a hell of a career.
My biggest takeaway from this is his endless list of charity work and donations… but I also particularly liked his extravagantly customized private jet – he knows how to spend his money!
I hope you enjoyed this article – you might also want to check out Tyler Perry’s Bounce Mojo Bio, and the best memes.