Dave Chappelle Biography (2023)
Everything There Is To Know & More [UPDATED]
Share this article:
Bounce Mojo is a leading player of Celebrity News, Reviews, Entertainment and Top 10 of Everything. We sometimes use affiliate links and may receive a small commission on your purchase. Learn more…
Dave Chappelle Biography: David Khari Webber Chappelle is an American stand-up comedian, actor, writer, and producer, best known for his comedy sketch series Chappelle’s Show.
This is the ‘Ultimate Dave Chappelle Biography’, we’ve done 47 man-hours of research, spoken to 7 insiders so…
…stick with us to learn about:
- His early life, Vital statistics & Career
- His Family, Relationships & Friendships
- Quotes, Memes & fun facts
- Loads more…
Feel free to share this bio using the social buttons above if you know anyone else who a Dave Chappelle fan.
Let’s dive right in…
Who is Dave Chappelle?
David Chappelle is an American stand-up comedian, actor, writer, and producer, best known for his comedy sketch series Chappelle’s Show.
Dave Chappelle (originally named David Khari Webber Chappelle) is an American stand-up comedian born on August 24, 1973 in Washington, District of Columbia, USA.
Dave pursued a stand-up comedy career way back in high school and made his film debut in Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993).
Later in the decade, he would star in a stoner comedy Half Baked.
In 2003, he became a big-time comedian with his launching of Chappelle’s Show.
That was before he walked away from the said program before the third season was even released.
Chappelle continued his stand-up career later in 2013, a decade later. From then on, he gained brand-new popularity from Netflix with his series of specials.
|Expert On: Comedian, host|
|Date of Birth: August 24, 1973|
|Current Occupation: TV Stand Up Comedian|
|Eye Colour: Dark Brown|
|Zodiac Sign: Virgo|
|Dave Chappelle Net Worth: $30 Million|
|Place Of Birth: Washington DC|
|Famous Friends: See Below|
|Favorite Color: See Below|
|Smoking/ Drinking: Allegedly smoked pot|
Related: Dave Chappelle Net Worth
Dave Chappelle’s father, WIlliam David Chappelle III, was a professor at Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio. Dave’s mother, Yvonne K. Chappelle Seon, on the other hand, was also a professor at a different establishment, Prince George’s Community College. She is also a Unitarian Universalist Minister.
- Dave has two siblings: William S. Chappelle and Felicia Chappelle Jones. He also has a stepmother and stepbrother.
- Dave Chappelle converted to Islam in 1998. He reportedly told Time in May of 2005, “I don’t normally talk about my religion publicly because I don’t want people to associate me and my flaws with this beautiful thing. And I believe it is beautiful if you learn it the right way.”
- Dave Chappelle is a Virgo which means he’s “equipped with a strong opinion, analytical mind, and humble spirit.”
Dave Chappelle’s Friends
Friends – People from different walks of life are sure to have one or a few close friends. Dave Chappelle is no exception.
It’s no surprise that Dave Chappelle has a few comedian friends. Kevin Hart is one of them. And the great thing about Kevin is that he never takes credit for his success. He almost always gives respect to the top comedians that came even before him. He even hailed Chappelle as “the GOAT.”
Dave Chappelle was the one who gave Kanye West his big break by letting the rapper perform in one of his Comedy Central shows and his Block Party movie. They’re still friends to this day.
Dave and Pete have been spotted at parties and the latter was even invited by the comedian to his cabin in Ohio for Christmas. That was the time he broke up with singer Ariana Grande. Ouch.
Neal Brennan works with Dave Chappelle. The two of them co-wrote Chappelle’s Show and the movie Half Baked. However, their friendship was strained after Chappelle left the show’s production, leading to the show’s cancellation.
However, they have since patched things up and remain best pals to this day.
There have been debates on who is funnier: Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle.
But if Chris Rock were to choose, he would automatically pick Dave Chappelle. “When his buddy made his triumphant return to the comedy stand up world in 2017, Chris Rock went on record to say that Chappelle had the best comedy special that anyone had put out since 2014.”
John Mayer had a guest appearance in one episode of Chappelle’s Show. In it, he helped Chappelle “offer the distinction between how White audiences react to music and how Black audiences react.”
They have been best pals ever since.
Dave Chappelle Family & Relationships
Unlike many celebs in the entertainment world, Dave Chappelle has been happily married to wife Elaine Erfe since 2001. Dave might have been influenced by his wife since neither of them particularly fancy being famous and are not madly fond of money.
The two dated for a few years before tying the knot.
Elaine was first hesitant to marry a celebrity. Since the comedian was at his peak in stand-up comedy then, the two of them took things slowly.
Their relationship flourished mostly because Dave showed his wife a great deal of respect.
They both lead private lives and have both moved away from the spotlight to live on a farm in Ohio.
Elaine doesn’t engage in social media either – so she can focus more on their family.
Dave and Elaine have been blessed with three wonderful children: Sulayman, Ibrahim, and Sanaa.
Dave Chappelle Education
Dave Chappelle grew up in Silver Spring, Maryland and attended Woodlin Elementary School. While in high school, he worked as a Ford’s Theater usher. He attended Duke Ellington School of the Arts in Washington, DC. and pursued theatre arts.
During his stardom, he donated an Emmy award to his former high school while filming a Jerry Seinfeld episode on Netflix, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.
Dave Chappelle Career
Dave Chappelle is pretty much a jack of all trades. He’s an actor, a comedian, a writer, and a producer. He was a stand-up comedian in 1988 and founded Pilot Boy Productions.
He has also appeared in TV commercials for Right Guard Extreme Deodorant in 2001 and Pepsi in 2003.
He has even appeared on radio commercials.
Throughout his career, he has received many awards and nominations. In 2004, he was nominated as an Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series and Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series for Chappelle’s Show.
A year later, he received a Primetime Emmy Award nomination as an Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special for Dave Chappelle: For What It’s Worth.
For Saturday Night Live, he won a Primetime Emmy Award as an Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series in 2017. Dave also won the Primetime Emmy Award as an Outstanding Variety Special (Pre-recorded) for his Dave Chappelle: Equanimity”.
He won 3 Grammy Awards of Best Comedy Album for Dave Chappelle: The Age of Spin & Deep in the Heart of Texas (2018), Dave Chappelle: Equanimity & The Bird Revelation (2019), and Dave Chappelle: Sticks & Stones (2020).
A Screen Actors Guild Award nomination as Outstanding Cast in a Motion Picture was also given to him for A Star is Born.
Dave Chappelle Scandals & Controversies
Not much is known about Dave’s past relationships.
However, he was caught up in smokes when rapper Azaelia Banks tried exposing the comedian for cheating on his wife.
Recent reports of the rapper reveal her being graphic about his intimate encounter with Dave. The rapper bragged about the comedian being “legendary” and that she would repeat the same experience if she ever could.
Interesting Facts About Dave Chappelle
- There’s still more details about him to tickle your fancy:
- He is the youngest of 3 children.
- His mother, Yvonne, is biracial.
- His grandparents are multiracial from rape, according to him.
- His parents were active in politics which led to notable individuals such as Johnny Hartman and Pete Seeger frequenting their house.
- Whoopi Goldberg nicknamed Dave “The Kid.”
- He was 19 when he made his film debut as “Ahchoo” in Robin Hood: Men in Tights.
- He then went on to have supporting roles in the hit films The Nutty Professor, Con Air, You’ve Got Mail, Blue Streak, and Undercover Brother.
- The film he first had a lead role in was Half Baked (1998).
- He owned a number of properties in Xenia, Ohio.
Dave Chappelle Movies
- Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993)
- Budget: $20,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $6,841,830
- Gross USA: $35,739,755
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $35,739,755
- Undercover Blues (1993)
- Opening Weekend USA: $4,379,488
- Gross USA: $12,324,660
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $12,324,660
- Home Improvement” Series (1991-1999)
- “Buddies” Series (1996)
- “The Nutty Professor” (1996)
- Budget: $54,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $25,411,725
- Gross USA: $128,814,019
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $273,961,019
- “Joe’s Apartment” (1996)
- Budget: $13,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $1,854,490
- Gross USA: $4,619,014
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $4,619,014
- “Con Air” (1997)
- Budget: $75,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $24,131,738
- Gross USA: $101,117,573
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $224,012,234
- “Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist” Series (1995-2002)
- “The Real Blonde” (1997)
- Opening Weekend USA: $83,488
- Gross USA: $83,488
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $83,488
- “Mother Goose: A Rappin’ and Rhymin’ Special” (1997)
- “Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child” Series (1995-2000)
- “Damn Whitey” (1997)
- “Bowl of Pork” (1997)
- “Half Baked” (1998)
- Budget: $8,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $7,722,540
- Gross USA: $17,460,020
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $17,460,020
- “The Larry Sanders Show” Series (1992-1998)
- “Woo” (1998)
- Budget: $13,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $2,517,263
- Gross USA: $8,064,972
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $8,165,984
- “You’ve Got Mail” (1998)
- Budget: $65,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $18,426,749
- Gross USA: $115,821,495
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $250,921,495
- “200 Cigarettes” (1999)
- Budget: $6,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $3,244,277
- Gross USA: $6,852,450
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $6,852,450
- “Blue Streak” (1999)
- Budget: $65,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $19,208,806
- Gross USA: $68,518,533
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $117,758,500
- “Screwed” (2000)
- Budget: $10,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $3,342,085
- Gross USA: $7,027,345
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $7,201,701
- “Undercover Brother” (2002)
- Budget: $25,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $12,037,685
- Gross USA: $39,089,928
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $41,604,473
- “Wanda at Large” Series (2003)
- “Chappelle’s Show” Series (2003-2006)
- “Crank Yankers” Series (2002-2020)
- “Chi-Raq” (2015)
- Opening Weekend USA: $1,198,453
- Gross USA: $2,653,032
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $2,719,699
- “A Star Is Born” (2018)
- Budget: $36,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $42,908,051
- Gross USA: $215,288,866
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $436,188,866
Dave Chappelle Book
Dave’s long career has led him to publish his books How to Play the Race and Win! (2006), Black Is the New White (2009), and Dave Chappelle’s Block Party (2009).
The image shows his cover from The DeAndre Way album in 2010. Photo from: Amazon
Aside from his nomination for Best Rap Song of the year 2008 during the 50th Grammy Awards, the following awarding bodies also nominated Way for his music:
- In total, Way released four major albums, two EPs, and a bunch of mixtapes throughout his career.
- He won the Best Hip-Hop Dance Award for Crank That during the BET Hip-Hop Awards 2007
- Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards also nominated him for Favorite Male Singer of the year 2008.
- In 2009, Teen Choice Awards gave Way four nominations for categories Choice Music: Hook Up, Choice Music: Artist, Choice Music: Rap Artist, and Choice Music: R&B Track.
- BET Awards named him one of the nominees for Best New Artist in 2008, while “Kiss Me Thru The Phone” was also nominated in 2009.
- In 2012, he was nominated for Best Artist with a Camera Phone for the O Music Awards in that year.
Top 3 Quotes From Dave Chappelle
“I’m cool with failing so long as I know that there are people around me that love me unconditionally.”
“The hardest thing to do is to be true to yourself, especially when everybody is watching.”
“You can become famous but you can’t become unfamous. You can become infamous but not unfamous”
Top 3 Memes – Dave Chappelle
3 Lessons From Dave Chappelle
- Owning up to one’s mistakes is vital to living in peace.
- Maintaining one’s integrity is important.
- Great work is timeless.
Summary: Dave Chappelle Biography
So there you have it, I’m sure you’ll agree, Dave has had a pretty colorful life.
My biggest takeaway from this is his long list of movies and awards – but I also particularly liked his relationship with his wife.
I’m sure there’s a lot we can learn both from his mistakes and his successes.
I hope you enjoyed this article – you might also want to check out Dave’s Bounce Mojo Net Worth, and the Best Bounce Mojo Dave Chappelle memes.