Share this article:
Bounce Mojo is a leading player of Celebrity News, Reviews, Entertainment and Top 10 of Everything. We sometimes use affiliate links and may receive a small commission on your purchase. Learn more…
Tyler Perry ex-wife Gelila Bekele: The funny guy ALWAYS gets the girl.
Well, this line is especially true for our boy, Tyler Perry.
We say “wife,” but here’s a shocker for you: they’re not married.
His long-term girlfriend, Gelila Bekele, is no inferior character on her own.
This American-Ethiopian model and film-maker is a mix of beauty and brains…
…every strong independent woman out there approves of.
So if you’re ready to get inspired and go “aww,” then you’ll love this article!
Perfectly settled now?
Then let’s begin!
The former model hailed from the humble capital of Ethiopia grew up in Adis Abeba.
However, when Gelila’s mother gave birth to her at a young age on September 4, 1986, her grandmother stepped up and took care of her.
Fast forward to when Gelila was nine years old, her family decided to move to Europe, where she studied primary and secondary school.
But her story doesn’t end there yet.
In fact, it’s just starting…
Right after Bekele finished high school, she decided to go overseas and study at UC Berkeley.
And while she’s studying at the ivy league school, an art director suddenly recognizes her beauty and scouted her to become a part of Ford Models.
The 19-year-old Bekele never knew her life would change that moment…
…she then dropped out of university to pursue her career in modeling and led to the rest as history.
But did you know that she isn’t just a pretty face? In fact, she’s powerful too.
Galila Bekele is a global activist. (Let’s talk about this later on, stay tuned.)
The love story with Tyler Perry started when they met at a Prince concert in 2007. As he found “the perfect partner,” Tyler and Gelila have been together for more than a decade ever since.
Their love story blossomed around difficult times, too.
Tyler Perry suffered from the loss of his mother the year they started dating back in 2009.
With his abusive father out of the picture early on, Tyler treasured his mom very much. This wonder mom worked as a preschool teacher and a factory worker just to pay the bills.
Above all, she never failed to take her children to church and surround them with faith and love.
Little did the couple know that in each loss comes an exciting gift…
Just five years in, Tyler Perry received life-changing news – he and Gelila were expecting a new addition to the family.
Born November 30, 2014, their son Aman Tyler became the apple of his father’s eyes.
“I know there are no pictures of him, but that’s not something we do. We’re not the kind of parents — my son’s not famous. We’re trying very hard to keep him protected so that he can know who he is before he gets into the crazy bull crap of this social media world.” (Tyler Perry, The Rickey Smiley Morning Show)
Embed this image on your site!
<a href="https://bouncemojo.com"><img src="https://bouncemojo.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Tyler-Perry-Wife-01.webp" alt="Gelila Bekele" ></a>
Unfortunately, in 2020, people were shocked when Tyler Perry announced that he and Bekele are no longer together.
The reason for their breakup is because the actor’s experiencing a “mid-life” crisis.
But despite their separation, he added that they are still close friends and co-parents their son, Aman, for his best.
Who Is Tyler Perry’s Ex-Wife Gelila Bekele?
Gelila Bekele is a stunning model, filmmaker, social worker, and the longtime partner of the wildly successful screen maker – Tyler Perry.
The couple’s relationship lasted for ten years!
|Expert On: Modeling, Filmmaking|
|Martial Status: Single|
|Date of Birth 36yrs old : 04 September, 1986|
|Current Occupation: Actress, Author, Producer, Social Worker, Songwriter, Director|
|Place of Birth: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Languages: Amharic, English|
|Weight: 61 kilograms|
|Height: 175 centimeters|
|Eye Color: Black|
|Zodiac Sign: Virgo|
|Friends: Jenny Bapst and Delphine Diallo|
|Favorite Color: Blue, Violet, Pink|
|Favorite Food: Vegan Dishes|
|Smoking/ Drinking: None|
|Net Worth: $2 million|
The Young Gelila Bekele
Embed this image on your site!
<a href="https://bouncemojo.com"><img src="https://bouncemojo.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Tyler-Perry-Wife-02.webp" alt="Gelila Bekele" ></a>
After Gelila finished high school in Europe, she immediately moved to California after enrolling at UC Berkeley.
At 19 years old, Bekele didn’t expect that she will be discovered randomly by a known advertising art director during her stay in Berkeley.
This event led to Bekele dropping out of college and started her modeling career in 2003.
She first signed with Ford Models New York and began hitting the runways of New York and Europe.
Besides conquering the runway…
… several magazines internationally have featured Gelila in their copies.
As if that’s not enough…
…Tyler Perry’s baby mama also worked with known brands like Tory Burch, Diesel, Anna Sui, Micheal Kors, and many others.
Interesting Facts About Gelila Bekele
- She told Tyler Perry that she was pregnant with their son Aman via Facetime.
- Gelila’s a known vegan. That’s why whenever she travels, she brings with her some of her favorite vegan ingredients like quinoa, cashews, dried fruits, and almonds.
- Bekele met Tyler Perry during a Prince concert in 2007. They started dating in 2009 and have been together for ten years before calling it quits in 2020.
- She has a heart for helping others and has been doing social work in Africa (especially in Ethiopia),
- She advocates for access to clean water and education for underprivileged people. That’s why she partnered with Charity Water and Perry Foundation to help out people in need of those two things.
- She has a half-sister named Anna Wrossetti.
- The former flame of Ty Perry was a part of the prestigious campaigns of Tory Burch, L’Oreal, Pinko, and Anna Sui.
- Gelila loves to keep her son’s privacy and doesn’t share any pictures of her son Aman on her social media accounts.
- Speaking of social media, Bekele has 107K followers on her Instagram account, where she engages the most with her fans.
- Her grandmother raised her growing and shared to People.com that she treasures her grandma the most.
Gelila Bekele Films
If Tyler Perry movies have been a part of almost everybody’s childhood, Bekele’s documentary should be a part of everyone’s adulthood.
Why so? Because her film shows the reality of young girls in a third-world country like Ethiopia. She explained the role of climate change in gender inequality and the impact of providing education for women.
I bet you’re curious what’s the name of her docu; it’s entitled “MAi: Life Is Not Honey.”
Aside from directing, Gelila also produced a documentary slash drama named Anbessa.
It’s about a ten-year-old boy who forces a battle against a prominent developer, which leads to events beyond his control.
You can check out the links in case you want to see more of her documentaries.
Gelila Bekele Books
In case you didn’t know…
The well-known lover of Perry has always loved writing and photography.
That’s why in 2015, Bekele decided to publish a hardcover photography book, which includes photographs of people in Ethiopia.
She named her book, Guzo, wherein she showed the daily lives of tribes in Ethiopia.
Additionally, she emphasized in the film the importance of appreciating other cultures and introducing her native land to more people.
Gelila Bekele Business Interests
Embed this image on your site!
<a href="https://bouncemojo.com"><img src="https://bouncemojo.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Tyler-Perry-Wife-03.webp" alt="Gelila Bekele" ></a>
Aside from filming engagements, Gelila is also open for speaking investments booking.
And of course, who could forget her book and documentaries. Gelila is still actively selling her inspiring works such as MAi: Life is Not Honey and Anbessa.
She has a stunning website where she posts her latest endeavors and promotions.
Top 3 Quotes From Gelila Bekele
“Despite all the suffering this year, we’ve witnessed, to a social worker working for others – is not a job, it is a joy. And Love pouring out of you is evidence of God pouring into you. I look forward to getting back on the field with my teachers.”
“The hate and the wars, the rockets, and the worships are all symbols of human failure, but love reconstructs, revives.”
“Education is an equalizer when all children around the world… Especially when young girls – have access to a safe space for — learning, equal opportunities, and resources.”
5 Lessons From Gelila Bekele
- “I like what feels good because I don’t follow any trends.” Tyler Perr’s former lover believes in comfortability over trends. That’s why whenever asked about her fashion preferences, Bekele always says that she prefers to wear anything that makes her feel good, instead of purchasing clothes that are trendy but uncomfy.
- “Be excited to do things that you’re passionate about.” The mother of Perry’s son, Gelila, loves to remind herself about being excited over anything she’s passionate about. In her case, it’s making documentaries and sharing to the world the reality of social issues people should be aware of.
- “I remind myself every day to be grateful for all the experiences I’ve had as it helps me have better and lighter days ahead of me.” Another lesson from the model focuses on… how she tells herself to be grateful for everything that has happened a more positive outlook on reality.
- “Always remember that nothing is so strong as gentleness.” Bekele also wants to emphasize that a person’s gentleness can be his or her strength. So, never belittle anyone who shows their gentle side as it can be more powerful than what you think it may seem.
- “Have patience with everything you do.” Lastly, Bekele subtly reminds people to have patience always even if the situation is testing your patience.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Who did Tyler Perry have a child with?
Perry has a son with model-activist-filmaker, Gelila Bekele.
How old was Bekele when she gave birth to her son?
She was 28 years old when she gave birth to Aman Tyler Perry.
Who is Tyler Perry engaged to?
As of 2020, Tyler Perry isn’t engaged to anybody. However, his longest relationship was with Bekele, which lasted for ten years.
Conclusion: Tyler Perry Ex-Wife
There you have it, the pretty long and colorful life of the “wife” of Tyler Perry.
I’m sure you’ll agree, the Ethiopian model, Bekele, has had an inspiring life.
My biggest takeaway from this is how she hustled hard to become of today’s well-known models.
… I also particularly liked how she loves to give back to the community, especially in her homeland where she advocates for gender equality and clean water.
If you’re curious about her former partner’s life and rags-to-riches story, feel free to check out BounceMojo.com’s bio of Tyler Perry and net worth article.
And if you’re in for some laughs, the articles about movies by Tyler Perry and exclusive memes of him can be your perfect choice.
I hope you enjoy every Tyler Perry movie just as I did writing this.
Put the Bounce in your Mojo today!