Tyga Biography: Micheal Ray Nguyen-Stevenson AKA TYGA (an acronym for Thank you God always), is an American rapper, songwriter, singer, and actor best known for dating reality star Kylie Jenner.
Look to the low down on TYGA?
We’ve got you covered – This is the most comprehensive Tyga Bio on the popular rapper TYGA, you’re going to learn everything there is to know:
- His Early Life, Family & Relationships – Including the Most Famous of Them All – With ‘Self-Made’ Teenager Billionairess Kyie Jenner
- His Personal Statistics – Height/ Weight/ Hair color/Tatoos etc
- His Record Deals & Albums
- Lots more…
So hold on tight.
Who Is Tyga?
Tyga is an American rapper known for having dated young billionaire Kylie Jenner. He was signed under rapper Lil Wayne’s Young Money Entertainment.
His genre is mainly influenced by pop and rock.
He released his debut album way back in 2008.
His fame skyrocketed since then…
… leading him into collaborations with rapper Rick Ross, singer-dancer Chris Brown, and many others.
But – that was all before Young Money let him go.
He then signed under Kanye West’s GOOD Music label.
|Expert On: Rapping, Singing|
|Date of Birth: Nov 19, 1989|
|Current Occupation: Rapper, Singer|
|Nationality: American with Jamican roots|
|Martial Status: Dating Ana Beatriz Boaretto|
|Height: 170.2 cm|
The Young Tyga
Born Michael Ray Stevenson on November 19, 1989 (Scorpio) in Compton, California, his Vietnamese-Jamaican parents later moved to Gardena, California.
He finished school at Gardena High School.
Tyga’s inspirations were rappers Eminem, Cam’ron, and Fabolous.
He started participating in rap contests with his high school friends. He even posted songs he wrote in online chat rooms.
It was his cousin, Travis McCoy, a Gym Class Heroes member, who introduced him to music.
While he toured with his cousin…
…he made mixtapes. It was McCoy who got Tyga his very first record deal and shared his music with Fall Out Boy vocalist Pete Wentz.
The vocalist reportedly liked Tyga’s voice and told MTV News, “I liked Tyga’s voice a lot and his flow. I couldn’t believe he was related to Travis, because Travis is pretty geeky.”
Wentz then signed Tyga to Bat Squad Records which was part of his Decaydance label. He went on to produce No Introduction, Tyga’s first album, in 2008.
Tyga is of Jamaican-Vietnamese descent. His mother’s name is Pasionaye Nguyen. He has a sister whose name is Cecilia Nguyen.
Even though he’s of mixed race…
He only speaks English.
Tyga is a Christian.
Fun fact – his name stands for “Thank You God Always.”
He stands at 1.71 m and weighs over 70 kgs.
His favorite foods are mint chocolate chip ice cream, chicken Alfredo, and chicken wings.
Tyga Family & Relationships
It’s no surprise that Tyga truly does love hookups.
He’s had a number of vixens swoon him over time.
It was in summer of 2016, model Anima Blue and Tyga were rumored to have linked up after the former appeared in the rapper’s music video for “1 of 1.”
Demi Rose Mawby
Tyga reportedly dated English model Demi Rose Mawby in May of 2016.
In an interview, the curvaceous model had nothing but praise for Kylie Jenner saying, “I respect her and never said anything bad about her. There are no bad vibes between us, I think. People will always hate on me, I guess… I was quite known before I even met him. But I’m still referred to as Tyga’s ex. We still talk now and then, you know, just ‘how are you?’ and stuff.”
While in a relationship with Kylie Jenner in February of 2016, model Val Mercado was seen leaving Tyga’s home.
The model was often referred to as the beauty mogul’s lookalike.
“According to DuJour magazine, Mercado was leaving the rapper’s $40,000-a-month estate off of Sunset Strip in Los Angeles as a camera crew arrived.”
In early 2016 (January), Annalu Cardoso, a Brazilian model, started making claims that she was with Tyga while the rapper was dating Kylie Jenner.
She confirmed with UsWeekly but didn’t elaborate on it.
The two reportedly met in one of Tyga’s music videos way back 2014.
It’s alleged they hooked up while Kylie was away.
Beauty mogul Kylie Jenner was 16 when she started dating Tyga in 2014.
Their age difference (8 years) sparked a lot of controversy. However, they continued dating on and off until early 2017.
Sophia Body is a 28-year-old adult Canadian model who is famous for Love & Hip Hop: New York.
The two of them reportedly had their first encounter way back July of 2012 – they broke up in April of 2013.
Model Blac Chyna and Tyga began dating in late 2011 and had a son on October 16, 2012, King Cairo Stevenson.
The two got engaged in December of 2012 but later separated in 2014.
Chyna is now involved in a child custody battle with Jenner’s brother, Rob Kardashian.
Model and lifestyle blogger Jordan Craig reportedly dated Tyga from 2010 to 2011.
The two allegedly got married briefly on September 6, 2010. However, after just a month, the rapper filed for divorce which was finalized in 2011.
Way back in 2008, model Chanel Iman announced her relationship with Tyga in a Vogue magazine.
She’s known for her work as a Victoria’s Secret model.
Former 3LW and The Cheetah Girls member Kiely Williams shared a relationship with Tyga from 2007 to 2008.
The two started hooking up in October of 2017 but ended their relationship in August of the next year.
Tyga finished high school at Gardena High School in California in 2005.
Just a few years back, he returned to his alma mater to inspire students and help them cope with the trauma that was brought by the January 18, 2011 shooting.
The incident left two students injured when a 17-year-old accidentally discharged his gun in a class of students.
The 17-year-old teen was arrested and sentenced to 9 months in juvenile camp and probation until he reaches the age of 21.
In his guest appearance at his former high school, he talked to students about how important hard work and education are. He gave the students some tips on how to succeed in the entertainment industry and make a name for themselves.
This appearance was part of his campaign “Tyga R.O.A.R. – Tyga Reaches Out And Represents.”
Tyga had successfully released his debut mixtape Young on Probation in 2007. After that, he signed a record deal with Lil Wayne’s Young Money Entertainment.
The collaboration track “Deuces” which he released with Chris Brown and Kevin McCall was debuted as a single which reached no. 14 at the Billboard Hot 100 and no. 1 at the Billboard Hot R&B/ Hip Hop Songs list.
…the track would go on to gain a Grammy Award Nomination for Best Rap/Song Collaboration.
Thanks to his cousin, Travis McCoy, Tyga was able to tour with Gym Class Heroes and make his first-ever independent album, No Introduction, which was released by Decaydence Records in 2008.
His song “Diamond Life” was featured in the movie “Fighting” and in the video games Need for Speed: Undercover and Madden NFL 2009.
Before making the album Thank God Always, he’d done a number of singles and mixtapes that helped to publicized Tyga.
That made him relatively successful and famous, recording for Young Money Entertainment, Cash Money Records, and Republic Records.
He owes his collabs with Rick Ross, Bow Wow, Chris Brown, and other big-name rappers in the industry to his initial success.
He signed with Kanye West’s Good Music Imprint – starting a new chapter of his musical career.
His debut album with Young Money Entertainment influenced his change of musical style and can be heard in his 2012 album “Careless World: Rise of the Last King.”
A snippet of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech was even featured in it. But before the album was released, the excerpt was removed. The album put Tyga on a pedestal and installed him in the 4th spot of the US Billboard Top 200. It featured big guest names such as Pharrell, Nas, T-Pain, Robin Thicke, and J Cole
Tyga’s third album…
…Hotel California was released in 2013. It received mixed reviews and even received comments like “The least creative major-label rap album in recent memory.”
Because of that album release, his Gold Album 18th Dynasty and duet with Justin Bieber was put on hold when he signed out of Young Money.
Tyga had hit rock bottom!
In September of 2016, Kanye West, his ex-girlfriend’s brother-in-law, announced that Tyga had signed up with Good Music under the aegis of Def Jam Recording…
…he had a chance at redemption.
But up until now, that redemption is yet to be found.
Tyga Scandals and Controversies
Ever since his declaration of love for Kylie Jenner, who was underage at the time, it’s no surprise he would be branded a “pedophile,” a moniker he endured during the whole of their relationship.
Tyga was not one to shy away from controversy though.
In his music video for “1 of 1,”…
…viewers were frustrated that his video, despite being shot in Jamaica, didn’t feature a Jamaican woman.
Amina Blue, the model in the video, was of German-Pakistani descent.
“Beyond that, Blue is wearing Bantu knots, a hairstyle with African roots. This led many commentators to accuse the video maker of cultural appropriation. Tyga is of Jamaican descent himself, which only seemed to fuel frustration over his casting Blue as the leading lady instead of a Jamaican woman.”
Finally, in addition, he’s been accused of producing songs that sound too similar to Drake’s.
Interesting Facts About Tyga
Here are some interesting facts about Tyga that you have perhaps never heard:
- His favorite ice cream flavor is mint chocolate chip.
- He changes the colors on all of his cars once a month.
- He can’t eat enough chicken Alfredo.
- He loves exotic animals and once owned a tiger.
- Mr. Chow is his favorite restaurant.
- “Nothing’s better than a freshly baked cake – and a gorgeous girl to bake it.”
- He has a bunch of arcade basketball games in his house to shoot hoops.
- He’s obsessed with gold.
- He currently runs four clothing lines: Last Kings, Twelve Jewels, HWBP, and Crisp Boxers.
- “I’m a true Scorpio, loyal, and passionate, but I also get jealous and stubborn.”
- “If I could go anywhere, it would be Australia.”
- His favorite movies ever are ‘Love & Basketball’ and ‘Paid in Full.’
- He can’t sleep for longer than five hours.
- He directs his own videos.
- He hates root beer.
- He’s a major fan of Vans sneakers. However, he often throws them away after wearing them just once.
- He started getting tattoos at the age of 14. He has over 50 of them.
- He recorded his first song in his closet when he was 12.
- The first time he met his mentor Lil Wayne was when he performed with him at the VMAs in 2007.
- Halloween is his favorite holiday.
Here’s a list of Tyga’s film and TV appearances:
He played Jamal “Jay” Elliot in the third season of Scream in 2019.
Mac & Devin Go to High School (2012)
A comedy that follows two high school students
American comedy-drama coming-of-age film
Barbershop: The Next Cut (2016)
American comedy film directed by Malcolm D. Lee and written by Kenya Barris and Tracy Oliver
Boo! A Madea Halloween (2016)
American comedy horror film directed, written, starring and co-produced by Tyler Perry
Once Upon a Time in Venice (2017)
Also known as LA Vengeance in the UK) is a 2017 American action comedy film directed by Mark Cullen.
In 2008, Tyga recorded the song ‘Coconut Juice’ with Travis McCoy, his cousin.
From then on, he would go on become recognized in the music industry which led him to release an album in June of that same year, ‘No Introduction.’
And even though he had great success at the beginning of his career, by 2015, he reached rock bottom when his album ‘The Gold Album: 18th Dynasty’ only sold 5,000 records.
By 2018, he had suffered the same fate with his two latest albums.
However unsuccessful people might consider Tyga now, he still has another possibility – his clothing store in Los Angeles, California named Last Kings.
Check out Tyga’s Net Worth for more information about his business ventures.
Tyga’s Lifetime Achievements
You might scoff at Tyga, but you can’t deny that he’s had his fair share of success in the music industry.
- Nominated at the Grammy Awards as Best Rap/Song Collaboration for “Deuces” with Chris Brown and Kevin McCall
- Nominated at the BET Awards as Best Collaboration for “Deuces” with Chris Brown and Kevin McCall
- Nominated at the BET Awards as Best Collaboration for “The Motto” with Drake and Lil Wayne
- Nominated at the BET Hip Hop Awards as Reese’s Perfect Combo Award for “The Motto” with Drake and Lil Wayne
- Nominated at the BET Hip Hop Awards as Best Club Banger for “The Motto” with Drake and Lil Wayne
- Won MuchMusic Video Awards as MuchVIBE Hip-Hop Video of the Year for “The Motto” with Drake and Lil Wayne
- Nominated at the MTV Europe Music Awards as Best US Act
- Nominated at the American Music Awards as Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Artist
- Nominated at the World Music Awards as World’s Best Male Artist
- Nominated at the World Music Awards as World’s Best Live Act
- Nominated at the World Music Awards as World’s Best Entertainer of the Year
- Nominated at the World Music Awards as World’s Best Song for “Bubble Butt” with Major Lazer, Bruno Mars, and Mystic
- Nominated at the World Music Awards as World’s Best Video for “Bubble Butt” with Major Lazer, Bruno Mars, and Mystic
- Nominated at the World Music Awards as World’s Best Song for “Wait for a Minute” with Justin Bieber
- Nominated at the World Music Awards as World’s Best Video for “Wait for a Minute” with Justin Bieber
- Nominated at the World Music Awards as World’s Best Album for Hotel California
- Nominated at the World Music Awards as World’s Best Song for “Loyal” with Chris Brown and Lil Wayne
- Nominated at the World Music Awards as World’s Best Video for “Loyal” with Chris Brown and Lil Wayne
Top 3 Quotes From Tyga
“Wake up every day stronger than yesterday, face your fears, and wipe your tears.”
“The more real you get, the more unreal things get.”
“We can admire what we see, but we can only love what we truly know.”
Top 3 Memes – Tyga
3 Lessons From Tyga
- It’s always important to learn from your past mistakes.
- Be true to yourself, regardless of what others might say.
- Beautiful things may be attractive but people should be more drawn into knowing what’s truly deep inside.
Summary: Tyga Bio
So there you have it, I’m sure you’ll agree, Tyga’s had a pretty colorful life.
My biggest takeaway from this is that no matter where you are in your life – whether you’re at the top of the pedestal or at the rock bottom, you’ll always have your share of success and failure.
I also particularly liked how he took the time to help students from his previous high school in coping with the trauma brought about by the January 18, 2011 shooting incident.
Not everyone in the entertainment industry can look back at where they came from.
I’m sure there’s a lot we can learn both from his mistakes and his successes.
I hope you enjoyed this article – you might also want to check out Tyga’s Bounce Mojo Net Worth, and the Best Bounce Mojo Tyga Memes.